Monday, September 2, 2013

11 July - 25 July 2011

Monday, 11 July 2011

            Sometimes I’ll feel good about life. Headed in a good direction. Purity on the brain. Really have a good hold on my situation. Then I fall and realize how far I’ve been from “good” all along.
            I’m struggling here in Columbus. Met some friends but no one I can go deep with. I need that accountability on the ground, not only close air support. My sin shames me. Never have I been so unsure of life as this. It will improve, I know. I just don’t’ want to feel so alone. I wish You would write me letters with my name in them. So tired of this struggle. Lots of questions.
            Reading your Word I want you to yell at me for my rebellion. Then I read II Timothy 2:13, “if we are faithless, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself.” And that hurts worse. You’ve claimed me as your own and I see no good thing in me. I can’t understand why me. My attempts to be good and loving are always selfish. Please send help.
            I keep saying when I get this, or when this comes, or when I’m there, or here or when I’m with her or talking to this person it will be better. But those things only point to the next thing. If I can’t have joy and contentment now I never will. How do I get there, Jesus? Take me to Eden.

            If you plan to take me out of pilot training eventually, please just go ahead and do it now. It’s boring as all get out right now. The things I’m turning to for security and satisfaction leave me feeling empty. Each day it becomes more difficult to fulfill those desires.

Tuesday, 12 July 2011

            II Timothy 2:14-19
            We don’t need theology to die (that is, to see heaven). That would imply my salvation depends on me. But, “The Lord knows those who are his.” He won’t require anything of me when I reach him. He already claimed me. “Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord,” though, “must turn away from wickedness.” I do need right theology for that.
            “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.” So handle the Word, but know right theology so you handle it correctly. That only comes by spending quality time in the Word: you, the Holy Spirit and God’s Word.
            If I don’t know right theology I could be led astray by people like Hymenaeus and Philetus. It happens every day. It happened to some of my friends. But the opposite can also happen if we correctly handle God’s Word. There is power.         


Monday, 18 July 2011

            Shame never brings me back to the Lord; neither does fear of retribution. The love of Jesus draws me back. When Jesus died on the cross ALL of God’s wrath for me was poured out on Him. On Jesus. That means no matter how far away I drift I will never taste the wrath of my Father. Are there still consequences for sin? Yes, but wrath? No. Rather, I will always ever only know His love.
                        “If we are faithless, He will remain faithful, for He cannot disown Himself.”


Tuesday, 19 July 2011

            II Timothy 2:22-26
            From verses 20 and 21 I might ask how to cleanse myself from ignoble purposes. Paul answers with. “Flee the evil desires of youth.” But he doesn’t stop there. Once we remove evil we become naked, so we are to clothe ourselves with, “righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.”
            If I am naked I will do anything to cloth my shame. Even if it means putting on something dirty. That’s why Paul urges us to not stop at ridding ourselves of sin. If we do not cover our nakedness with righteousness sin will naturally creep back in. We cannot stand to live with insecurities visible. They must be covered up. So cover yourself with righteousness.
            Humility is a true mark of the Lord’s servant. Do not worry about winning. Quarrels always lead to division. Better to lose an argument and keep a friend than win a live alone.



Monday, 25 July 2011

            II Timothy 3:1-9
            “Always learning but never able to acknowledge the truth.” Everything Paul lists is true of today’s culture, but this sentence is loudest. We have so much knowledge but so little acknowledgment of Christ. And it’s not just “pagans.”
            I was just listening to a sermon by Scott from First Pres Opelika on James. He said those who rely only on their words and right theology lack truth. Ignorance isn’t only for the godless. Too many who call themselves Christians have so much knowledge but lack faith. Just because a jury has all the right facts doesn’t ensure they’ll come to a right verdict. In fact, it’s popular today for the “educated” to oppose the truth (not just spiritual) to come up with a new idea of what is right, even if it’s false.
            It is right to challenge ideas to know if they are true. And I acknowledge the difficulties associated with accepting Scripture, but I know it is truth. Its truth has been present in my life in ways that make me weep. Test the Word against something solid and you’ll find that it is true. By something solid I mean a thing you can garner results from, not simply a hypothesis. It’s true not because it works. But it works because it’s true.

No comments:

Post a Comment