Monday, September 2, 2013

And so it begins

This was just two days after I arrived in Columbus, MS for pilot training. I spent a month doing nothing before they sent me to Pueblo, CO for Initial Flight Screening. Some of this might be a repeat from posts early on in this blog. If so, then twice as nice.

29 June 2011

It’s times like these when real growth happens. When I feel alone and desperate and reach out for the one thing I know is certain, God’s Word. He is solid. He does not falter. He does not fail.
            Hold me close, Lord. Let me know I am in Your presence. This world, my job doesn’t matter. It’s You, Lord. Have pre-eminence in my life. Have Your way with me. Shine your favor on your child. Bring light into my life. Let me know for sure I’m not alone.

Today was good but didn’t go as planned. I went to the transition office at 8am to get an early start but no one was in there. I talked with two other Lt’s who were also waiting. Like an idiot I didn’t get their names.
            The office didn’t open until 10am so things started later than hoped for originally. I got a couple items checked off at the OG building then went with another Lt, John (got his name this time) over to MPF. Filled out some paperwork and was then told I would be called when I needed to come back. Didn’t get the call until the end of the day so I’ll need to return tomorrow.
            Afterwards I went to Housing and saw Mayer (I knew he was working there). So excellent to see a friendly familiar face even though I’ve been here less than two days. Lots of nerves I guess.
            Tomorrow I can move into a dorm. It’s actually smaller than this hotel room but has more amenities. And the bathroom light is inside the bathroom. I don’t understand hotels’ propensities (and my old apartment) to put the light switch for the bathroom outside the door. Also, we’re being given a four day weekend for the 4th so I’ll get to go to the lake! Sweaty but fun.
            The gym on base sucks. It’s probably great for most people but unconventional for a crossfit workout. No free weights anywhere, just machines. So I did a workout with the trees and the side of a building today. Still got me tired.

            Had a heavy snack before I drove off base to look at the downtown area and the Tombigbee river. The downtown area is similar to Opelika’s but a little more compact. Lot’s of churches. I thought the city would be on or at least closer to the river but they’re a good distance apart. The river’s just the river; nothing on it. It’s like the founders tried to build the city on the river but missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment