Monday, September 2, 2013

3 July - 8 July 2011

Sunday, 3 July 2011
            II Timothy 1
            Why would Paul have reason to be ashamed? He wouldn’t say, “Yet I am not ashamed,” unless he had a good reason. It’s because he’s suffering, he’s in chains, he lost his high position. Those he used to work with scoffed at him. He used to put people in prison. Now, he’s in prison. So what reason does Paul have to not be ashamed?
            Assurance keeps Paul from shame. But I’m confused about what he’s entrusted Christ to guard “for that day.” Life? Eternal life? Death? And he says Timothy has also been entrusted to guard a deposit. The gospel? Community? Communion crackers? Money?
            Whatever it is we are not alone. I have the Holy Spirit’s help. Fortunately, He knows. Lord, show me what it is.



Wednesday, 6 July 2011

            Coming here by myself, living alone, I knew there’d be ample amounts of temptation. I thought, though, that desperation would keep me from giving in and instead draw me to Christ. Now, it’s come again to a daily struggle. I want this to be a place of peace.

            II Timothy 2:1-7
            How can I expect a right mindset if I’m not striving for it? It won’t just happen. A strong Christian only becomes so through hardship, through the struggles. God gave Timothy the Word of God and the encouragement of other Believers like Paul to help him grow strong in Christ. Those things were put in Timothy’s life on purpose for him to use purposefully.
            Paul illustrates this with an athlete. The athlete won’t “receive the victor’s crown unless he competes according to the rules.” He also says that a farmer will receive his share of crops if he works hard for it. I can’t expect to arrive in a place sold out to Jesus on accident. If I want to be there I must set a course for there and study and pray to know how to get there. No one has ever stumbled upon sanctification. We are sanctified through the work of the Holy Spirit when we listen and obey.


Friday, 8 July 2011


            I’m thinking about going out and buying a computer game to alleviate the boredom. I won’t, though, because laziness always accompanies boredom. Splinter Cell is in one of the boxes I put in storage. Not sure which one. Might bring that up here. Kind of glad I don’t have internet right now. I’d just be wasting time on facebook and reddit. Wouldn’t mind some TV though.

No comments:

Post a Comment