Friday, July 15, 2011

Cushy Government Job

I started playing Escape From Monkey Island again because I couldn't think of anything else to do. Towards the beginning of the game you have to convince two pirates to join your crew but they're unwilling because last time they helped you they ended up stranded on a desert island. So this time you have to find a way to bribe them. Fortunately your wife is the Governor of the island and there are government contracts lying around your house. One of them is a regular government contract job. You show that to the two pirates and they are not impressed. So you go back to your house and find a "Cushy" government job contract form, offer that to the pirates and they join immediately. All that to say playing Monkey Island has made me realize I have a cushy government job.

I calculated how much I'm working and figured this month I'm getting paid about $40/hour PLUS benefits and a free military email account I can check on base everyday. Not too bad. It's slow but it really is nice. I wake up any time before 10am so I can sign in and that is literally all I have to do everyday. That and checking email. It could be much worse. One friend, Brad (who's in the same position I'm in), got tasked with urinalysis checker. We all dreamed of coming here and regaling our friends and family at home with awesome stories. Brad gets to call home and tell his friends he watches grown men pee into a cup. Best of all he had to go to training for the two week job.

And now I have a TV! I had no intention of getting one so soon but there was one on Woot.com the other day for a ridiculous price and I knew I wanted one before football season started. It came yesterday and I was so excited that I managed to reschedule the rest of my day just so I could set it up. I took it out of the box, cleared the space where I was going to put it, plugged it into the outlet, and realized that's all I had to plug it into. No dvd player, no hdmi cord, and no cable (I won't be here at all next month so I figured I wouldn't waste a month's cable bill). Granted, I knew this would be the case when I bought the TV it just really hit me when I set the TV up. Having nothing else to do (because I rescheduled my day (not because there's never anything else to do)) I still turned the TV on, switched to different inputs, set up the clock and then just watched the white fuzz for a while...but in 42" of HD fuzz!!! Then I checked my email.

No comments:

Post a Comment