Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The weather's fantastic here. Every time I open the door I'm reminded it's summer and that I probably should take a shower. Later in September and October when it starts to cool off I start my truck, let it run for a while then stick my face in front of the exhaust pipe just to remember what it felt like. It's not quite the same but it's close.

Been putting in some grueling two-hour workdays lately. It's a rough life. Yesterday I actually had a job. Twice weekly the UOQ (Unaccompanied Officer Quarters (mean way of saying single person's dorms)) lounge and laundry room is cleaned by students on casual (those waiting to go to IFS or start UPT) and this week I get to do it. Nothing harsh just sweeping, cleaning windows and bathrooms and taking out trash. We found a pile of poo (most likely human) on some outdoor steps and that was the most exciting thing that's happened all week. I did get internet today so now I can check email and facebook on my laptop as well as my iPhone. What a relief. I was quite nervous when I first got here because I didn't know the challenges that lay (lie, lied, layed, lode) ahead but I had no idea it'd be severe boredom. It's only magnified by the intensity of the heat. Sometimes I'll be sitting in my room and think, "Hey! I'm gonna go do something!" So I get up, open the door, get punched in the face (metaphorically), and sit back down. But you better believe I check my email thoroughly every day all day!

My IFS orders came in today (I had to go pick them up so I counted that as "work"). We're allocated just over $2000 for the whole time we're in Pueblo. That doesn't include our regular pay. But housing's free there, food's free most of the time and I can't think of any other necessities I'd need to purchase while there. I'm not complaining. I just have no idea how I'd even get close to spending $2000 in less than 30 days. I'll be fa sho getting a steak dinner or two.

Speaking of money, still no sign of a paycheck. All us newbies are hoping for the 15th of July but I don't really know what I'm so looking forward to. Get my paycheck then go buy a swamp. Nothing else to spend money on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment